In SAP routings the purpose of component assignment is to avoid excess buffer inventory. By default, all components are assigned to the first operation in a routing. In reality, however, most components might only be required much later in the production process. In such cases it makes sense to adjust component assignment to operations in a routing.
How to conduct component allocation
Enter the routing header.
Enter the operations overview.
Select the operation of interest and enter the operation overview screen.
Click the “CompAlloc” button.
A table with all components will appear – now:
- highlight the component of interest
- click the “New assignment” button
- specify the operation number
- click “approve” or press enter
- the specified operation number is now mapped to the highlighted component